Ernest Hemingway with his namesake Daiquiri
National Daiquiri Day happens each year on July 19, when people fill their glasses with this rum-based cocktail. Did you know the daiquiri was likely invented by Cuban miners? An engineer named Jennings Cox supervised a mine in a village named Daiquiri in 1898 during the Spanish-American War. After work, Cox and his colleagues would gather at the local bar. One day Cox mixed Bacardi, sugar, and lime into a glass of ice. Named after the Daiquiri mines, the drink became a popular staple in Havana.
Below are three versions of the Daiquiri worth trying today in honor of the holiday. Each has its own character and flavor. All are lovely on a hot summer’s day.
1.5 oz White rum
0.5 oz Simple syrup
1 oz Fresh Lime juice
Pour all ingredients into shaker with ice cubes. Shake well. Strain in chilled cocktail glass. Garnish with half a lime slice.
2 ounces White rum
0.75 ounce Fresh lime juice
1 teaspoon Sugar or simple syrup (or less, to taste)
1 teaspoon Maraschino liqueur
Combine ingredients in a cocktail shaker (if using granulated sugar, stir to dissolve it in the lime juice before adding the other ingredients) and fill with ice. Shake well, and strain into a chilled cocktail glass. Garnish with a thin slice of lime.
2 oz Light rum
0.75 oz Fresh lime juice
0.5 oz Fresh pink grapefruit juice
1 tsp Sugar
1 tsp Maraschino liqueur
Add all ingredients to a cocktail shaker and fill with ice. Shake, and strain into a chilled cocktail glass.
“I drink to make other people more interesting.” -Ernest Hemingway
Today’s GSN Advent Gift Guide suggestion is for Hemingway lovers, and imbibers alike.
It is no secret that Hemingway was fond of the bottle. Celebrate his legacy with this leather-bound collection of his novels that has been hollowed out to precisely fit an 8.5 ounce Italian-made pocket flask and (2) two-ounce shot glasses (included). Pull ribbons enable easy shot glass extraction while a strong magnetic closure keeps everything in place. Your custom etching on the flask (optional) will make the perfect gift!
• Hand cut from a real leather-bound book
• Beautiful and functional, the book acts as a protective case for the glassware, and its strong magnetic closure will prevent the contents from unintentionally coming out or breaking — even if the book is dropped from height (a prototype filled with glassware survived a drop test from a height of 10 feet on solid concrete)
• Includes new 8.5 oz. Italian-made glass pocket flask with optional custom etching
• Italian-made pocket flask features a seal tight swing top, which creates a hermetic leak-proof seal
• The book’s interior cavity has been bound with multiple coats of an acid-free, archival-quality bookbinding adhesive to ensure its sturdiness and stability for generations to come
• Appears like a normal book when closed with natural page edges
• Book dimensions: approximately 9.4 x 6.5 x 1.88 inches
• Weight of book with empty flask and shot glasses: 2.72 pounds
*Flask ships empty. Whiskey not included with this item.
Order yours here: BookRooks